Who can apply?
- You must be 16 or older.
- You must be a resident of New Zealand or have applied for residency.
- You must be able to come to every session (except when you are sick) and arrive on time
Level of English required
This programme is for people who have no English or some English.
To apply please complete an application form. See How to Apply
- The programme is in four levels. MCLaSS will enrol you in the right level for you.
- Each level is called a course.
- Each course is 18 weeks long, with 13 hours of class time each week.
- Each class has 4 sessions a week.
- The courses start in February and July. Late enrolments can be accepted if the classes are not full. What you will learn
- Beginner English listening and speaking
- Beginner English reading and writing
- Some things about living in Wellington
- Basic maths
- Some computer skills
When you have completed the top level of the programme you will be able to:
- Understand English speakers if they use familiar words
- Speak in English using the most common words, tenses and grammar
- Give and understand simple instructions
- Read and understand texts that use the most commonly known words
- Write in paragraph form
- Use English for basic maths
- Begin to type and use the internet in English.
You will be confident that you can learn more English.
You will be ready to enrol in a higher level English course at another school or to get your first job.
We will give you feedback on your learning
At the end of each semester:
- You will be tested by the teacher.
- You will fill in a self-assessment form to help you think about what kind of teaching helps you learn best, and what you need to do to help you learn best.
- You will get a report that shows you how well you have been doing and tells you some things to work on next semester.
You can give us feedback on our work
Twice a year all the learners meet in their own language groups with a teacher and an interpreter.
At this session, you can tell us what you think MCLaSS is doing well and what you think MCLaSS is not doing well.
View the MCLaSS Learner Handbook to find out the rules about studying with MCLaSS.
COURSES IN 2017
All the courses in the General English programme are in Wellington. There are four course levels: 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B. Each learner is enrolled in a class teaching the course which is best for their level of English.
Semester 1: 7 February to 29 June
Semester 2: 24 July to 14 December
MCLaSS, Level 1, 39 Webb St, Te Aro
The morning class are from 9.00 to 12.00
The afternoon class are from 1.00 to 4.00
All classes meet five times a week.